Thursday, December 1, 2011

Can I leave my Wheelchair scooter in my garage during winter?

During winter time many people may not use their wheelchair much and preferred to leave it in the garage.  The the question is what happens to the batteries.  Most of the SLA batteries use sulfuric acid as electrolytes with a specific gravity of 1.300.  The freezing point of this sulfuric acid used in SLA batteries is (-71 C or -95F).  The lowest temperature ever recorded in US was in Alaska at it was (-62C or - 80F) on January 23, 1971.

Looking at the above data the electrolyte will not freeze during winter if you leave the wheelchair/scooter in your garage in USA.  However, some of the plastic parts in the wheelchair/scooter might get brittle and one need to be careful while handing plastic parts at cold temperatures.

Battery Consulting

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting post. Thanks for sharing it! It is always a joy to learn something that I didn't know. I have you to thank for teaching me something new, and I appreciate it very much. :-)

    see here my post topic on Lead acid batteries manufacturers

    Recycled PP granules Manufacturers

    ReplyDelete
  2. The informative provided in this blog was awesome. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and views through this blog lead acid battery manufacturers in india | battery manufacturers in india

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes. Leaving it under cold condition will reduce self discharge and don't need to recharge for longer period of time

    ReplyDelete